Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
Community Search
The future of RWH
Moderator(s): John Hammerstrom
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/4/2013 at 12:55:51 AM GMT
The future of RWH

In my opinion, rainwater harvesting will be defined as a new occupation, requiring a license to install a system for contract within the next couple of years. I hope we will retain our right to build a system on our homestead without a license, if we are not connected to a public water supply. To design, install and maintain a rainwater system is more involved and requires more skills than any other discipline, and therefore a new profession must be created to assure that safe rainwater systems are available in the future.

Stormwater rules will be the main growth driver over the next five years because retention and reuse is going to be cheaper and faster than to build more treatment plants and reservoirs to feed the growing municipal and agricultural demand.

Potable systems will be the norm; tap water will be used for secondary indoor uses and irrigation, in most cases. Good clean rain will supply our drinking water from decentralized, private catchment systems that are less vulnerable to large-scale contamination and interruptions.

Now is the time, especially here in Texas, to start the process of getting our credentials recognized nationwide by introducing legislation that defines rainwater harvesting and sets a national standard to go by. We'll have to put some long hours in the saddle, but it will secure the future of this industry and protect our water resources for years to come. I encourage you to visit the ARCSA booth and donate to the legislative fund that has been created for this purpose and to continue to be an active ARCSA member during the exciting years to come.

11/5/2013 at 2:46:56 AM GMT

For RWH to grow in the future, I suggest the following::

1.  Partner with universities to offer curricula that include RWH topics, so that more college-level students are trained in RWH systems.  This could be in the Colleges of Engineering, Architecture and Agriculture.

2.  ARCSA should interact with the American Institute of Architects (AIA), American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), and others to educate their members about the benefits of RWH systems.  How about holding the next ARCSA conference jointly with AIA or ASLA?

3. RWH suppliers should be more proactive and contact major corporations and industries for installing RWH systems.  Companies and facilities with large roof areas should be targeted by the RWH industry.  RWH suppliers should also be more customer friendly.

4.  Semi-urban and rural areas are a great market for the RWH industry, and should be tapped.  Regulations there may not be as rigid as in established cities and municipalities.

5.  ARCSA should encourage the formation of more regional or statewide chapters, so that local needs and requirements can be met adequately.  ARCSA should ask the regional reps to be more active in promoting RWH in their areas through seminars, workshops, etc.

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal